November 21, 2016

Tot School Week 12: Animals

Both of my kids and I all ended up with colds the week after Halloween.  No one was feeling good so we took that week off of tot school.  We did week 12 with the theme Animals the second week of November.  Here are the activities we did throughout the week:



Day 1:  I bought this cute little Little People Noah's Ark set for Peter since he's getting close to sitting up and can hold things in his hands.  It was also perfect to use for our Animal theme of Tot School.  We watched a Noah's Ark video on youtube and then I set up a water sensory bin for her to wash the animals and just play in the water.  This was her favorite.  She ended up climbing right into the bin of water towards the end and thought it was so much fun!

Day 2: I had Claire sort a few animals from tallest to shortest and then I mixed them again and had her sort them from shortest to tallest.  I had to help her a bit but she did pretty good once she got the idea!  Then I had her draw a line matching the cartoon animal to the real animal picture.  I also had her match up the animal toys we had to the ones on the worksheet.  We also made a bunch of animal handprint paintings, which is always a favorite activity of Claire's.
Day 3:  We learned about forest animals.  Claire did a few dot painting worksheets and we learned about the letter F.  I printed off some forest animals for her to color but she wanted to keep doing dot paints so I let her just dot paint those too.  We also played a forest animal matching game!
Day 4:  I found this awesome Animal matching game at Target in the dollar aisle.  You can play a few different versions of it, on this day I had Claire match the animals to where they live.  I did it with her once and then she was able to do it again all by herself.  Then we sang Old MacDonald had a farm and I had her hold up which animal TP roll she wanted to sing about.  After we sang we used the animal TP rolls to play Farm Animal bowling, which Claire loved!
Day 5:  We recently completed our Flora book collection, they are Claire's absolute favorite books.  I found Flora and the Peacock used on Amazon for $4 so I saved it to use in our animal unit of tot school.  We read the book (several times) then we made a peacock hand print painting!  

No comments:

Post a Comment