September 26, 2016

Tot School Week 6: Bugs & Insects

We learned about bugs & insects for week 6 of tot school.  Here are the activities we did throughout the week:

Day 1- I decided to focus on different bugs each day.  We started out with Claire's favorite: butterflies!  I made her a butterfly sensory bin using black aquarium gravel and different colored plastic butterflies I found on amazon.  It was really simple, I didn't have her sort or match she just played and used her imagination.  She loved it!  For breakfast I made her butterfly toast with nectarines and had her use the nectarines to decorate the butterfly before she ate it.  We also made tie-dye butterflies using baby wipes that I had Claire color with markers.  For snack time I made her a butterfly grape bag.  And our last activity, which was my favorite, was making a butterfly sensory jar.  We use these jars for time out/calm down jars and they help so much.  This one was made using a plastic Voss water bottle, 1/2 cup of water, a few shakes of glitter, acrylic butterfly beads found on amazon, and then filled to the top with liquid hand soap.  I love how it turned out!
Day 2- We focused on bees.  We sang I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee (several times).  Claire loves learning songs and insists we sing them until she has the whole thing memorized.  We made a bubblewrap beehive painting with fingerprint bees.  I added the outlines with a sharpie after the paint dried.  I printed off a bumble bee dot paint worksheet but didn't get a picture of it.  We also made a paper plate bumble bee craft.  I glued on the stripes and had Claire glue on all of the yellow squares.  I added the head after the glue dried and had Claire add the eyes.
Day 3- We learned about caterpillars.  We made a Fruit Loop Caterpillar in the morning using a pipe cleaner, googly eyes, and fruit loops.  We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and made a handprint caterpillar painting.  I also helped Claire make an egg carton caterpillar.  She painted it and I added the eyes and antennas once it dried.
Day 4- We focused on ladybugs.  I printed off a ladybug dot painting worksheet for Claire to do.  These are so simple but she loves them.  We made a ladybug footprint painting.  We practiced counting the spots on ladybug cards I printed off.  And last we did a ladybug obstacle course outside.

Day 5- We learned about spiders and ants.  We started out with a bug matching game that included all the bugs we learned that week.  We made a spider handprint painting and an ant toilet paper roll craft.  After Claire's spider and ant dried we used them to sing The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and The Ants Go Marching.  We also used the book Some Bugs and read it several times throughout the week to learn about even more bugs we didn't cover. 

1 comment:

  1. Kami you have got to be one of the most fun moms ever!!! I love all the fun craft and activities you did, they are all so fun and cute, and Claire looks like she is loving it all!!!

    ReplyDelete