September 6, 2016

Tot School : Week 3 Shapes

We finished our third week of Tot School.  The theme for week 3 was shapes!  Here is a recap of of the week:

Day 1: I introduced the theme of the week to Claire with a shapes breakfast; circle bananas, triangle strawberries, and heart toast.  After breakfast we watched a shape song on Youtube, and then practiced drawing shapes on Claire's whiteboard.  I drew some with dotted lines and had her practice tracing them.  I have to say she did a pretty good job for a 2 1/2 year old!  Then I taped out some giant shapes on the carpet and had her outline them with legos.  I had to coax her along with this activity, she just wanted to stack and build with her legos instead of make shapes haha. For snack time I gave her chex mix and had her sort them into squares, circles, and triangles.

Day 2: We did shape sponge paintings.  I cut out a triangles, squares, and circles out of a sponge and we did stamp paintings with them.  This was a lot of fun and I loved how Claire's paintings turned out!  We made shape puppets and played pretend with them and later we went outside and played circle hopscotch.  
Day 3: We sang a song with Toilet Paper Roll shapes.  I forgot to take a picture of all the TP rolls but I made one into a square, triangle, circle, and heart. Claire did several dot shape paintings, she did a lot better on this activity then the first time we tried one.  I also printed off a beach shape matching game.  She loved this because we went to Bear Lake earlier in the week and so she thought this was like the beach we went to.  Its supposed to be a file folder game but I want to get it laminated before I glue it in the folder and add velcro to the pieces.

Day 4: I printed off some shape clothespin matching cards.  These were a favorite of Claire's.  She took her stack of shape cards around with her everywhere the rest of the week.  We sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star with my guitar and I let Claire practice strumming while I played the chords.  We also made shape sugar cookies.  We won't talk about how many sprinkles Claire ate while decorating them :).  (Also she's wearing the same outfits in a lot of these pictures because she got new pajamas and a new dress that week so they were only two things she would wear).
Day 5: We did a shape sorting sensory bin using black aquarium beads for the filler and foam lacing beads for the shapes.  I also set up a shape bead lacing activity for her later using the same beads.  I found them on amazon, and they are so awesome!  I will be using them for a lot of the activities we do throughout the year!  The last thing we did was use the Toilet Paper roll shapes we had made earlier in the week, to do some stamp paintings.  This was really fun for Claire and me. I made a painting of my own while Claire made hers!  Now I need to figure out what to do with all of her finished paintings and projects.  I've thought about scanning them and making a photobook at the end of the year, but I'm trying to come up with some other ideas too!
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment