March 23, 2015

DIY Duvet Cover


We woke up this morning to gray, rainy skies.  I decided it was a good day for a sewing project.  A couple years ago West Elm had a black & white dotted swiss duvet cover that I loved.  I couldn't really justify spending money on it since we had a perfectly good duvet cover already that I made when we got married.  This was back when I was working for IHC and Bryce agreed if I worked some overtime hours I could use the extra money to purchase the new duvet.  Sadly, by the time I worked the extra hours the duvet cover was sold out.  I was pretty bummed and tried watching for one one ebay but nothing ever came up.  I didn't find another duvet I liked as much so I decided to wait and see if West Elm would make it again.  They never did, but a few months ago I found a set of sheets at Target that were really close to looking like the swiss dot duvet I had loved.  They are white with a black plus print on them.  I decided I would buy the sheets and sew up my own duvet cover.

The sheets came as a standard set that included a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and two pillowcases.  Bryce and I actually stopped using flat sheets about a year ago.  We both kept waking up too hot at night and I always hated how I felt like they would get all tangled.  We tried sleeping with just the fitted sheet & duvet and it was so much better.  I've made our bed like that ever since.  Since I wouldn't be using the flat sheet from the set I figured I could turn that into the duvet cover.  I sewed it to one of the extra white flat sheets we weren't using, and voila!  A brand new duvet cover & new set of sheets for just a little over $30.  It was a super easy sewing project, just three straight seems along the sides and bottom of the sheets.  And as long as your sheets are the same size and you don't have trim either of them the seams are already finished so you don't have to worry about that step.
I love how it turned out and I love that I now have 2 duvet covers to rotate between, which will be especially helpful on laundry days!

No comments:

Post a Comment