January 8, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 38 1/2 Weeks

DSC_0003.jpg DSC_0002.jpg
How far along? 38 1/2 Weeks
How big is baby? At my doctor's appointment today she was measuring just about 7 pounds (my doctor said to keep in mind it is just an estimate so she could be a little bigger or smaller than that).
Stretch marks? None still!  I think I may have lucked out of getting any!
Sleep: Ugh.  Sleep has been terrible lately.  I don't think I've fallen asleep before 3 a.m. since last week.  My body seems to switch every other week.  One week I'll sleep fine and the next horribly.  This past week was horribly.  My back has been hurting much worse, my hips ache, and my pelvis constantly aches from her being so low.  I can't seem to get comfortable so I toss and turn and switch from the couch to the bed until I finally fall asleep at some point.
Best moment of the week?  Doing all of Claire's laundry :)  That's probably a weird thing to be excited about but I had so much fun folding all of her teeny clothes and putting them away in her dresser.
Food cravings?  Apples + Peanut Butter
Symptoms? Occasional heartburn, aching back & hips, very sore pelvis.  She is so low and it is putting so much pressure on my pelvic bones that it hurts to walk and move around.  I read that sitting on an exercise ball helps with back, hip, and pelvic pain so I finally bought one on Monday at it has been amazing!  I wish I would've bought one so much sooner.  It is so comfortable to sit on and takes all the pressure off of my back and pelvis.  I seriously love it!
Movement: Still lots of squirming and kicking.  Every once in a while she pushes her head down in my pelvis pretty hard.  It's not the funnest thing I've ever felt.  Hopefully she'll just decide to come out soon so she can move and wiggle all she wants out here and not be so squished!
Gender? girl!
Belly button in or out? Halfway out.
Wedding rings on or off? Still on, no swelling or anything.
Anything making you queasy or sick?  No.
Happy or moody most of the time:  Happy but feeling exhausted and ready to be done.  I would much rather be tired from being up with a newborn than from being hugely pregnant, uncomfortable, and unable to sleep.  Hopefully not much longer!
Miss Anything?  Laying on my back and caffeine.  
Labor Signs? I've been having contractions every day since last Thursday but nothing consistent.  They will last for 30-60 minutes and will get pretty painful so I start thinking okay it's starting this is it, and then they just stop.  My doctor said it is just false labor and my body's way of preparing for the real thing.  It's annoying though because it keeps getting my hopes up every time!  (I never thought I'd be excited about contractions/cramps?)  I got checked today at my appointment and I am now 3 cm dilated and still about 75% effaced.  My doctor said I probably won't efface any more until I'm in active labor and start dilating more.  He laughed when he checked me and said, "There's her head!  I don't think she could get any lower without falling out."  Tell me about it!  It's no wonder I have to waddle around everywhere.  My doctor went ahead and stripped my membranes to see if it would get things moving but he said he doesn't always see it work with first time moms.  If it does work I'll go in to labor within the next 48 hours.  If it doesn't work and I don't have her before my appointment next Wednesday he said we could have the option of being induced next weekend since I am already dilated and my cervix is favorable.  It is nice to know I won't have to go past my due date if I don't want to, but I still kind of want my body to go in to labor on its own and not have to be induced.  I haven't decided but I've got a week to think about it (or hopefully she'll just come on her own and I won't have to decide)!  
Looking Forward to? I know I sound like a broken record but I am so excited to finally hold my baby and see what she looks like!  I can't wait to be done with pregnancy and move to the next stage of motherhood.  Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me that she will come soon!  

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kami, I'm so excited for you! Those weeks were seriously so LONG and HARD. I hope all goes well :) And just to share my experience, because maybe it'll help you make your own decision... I was SO eager to get induced, but I stayed at 2 1/2 cm until I was 40 weeks, then I was supposed to get induced at 41 weeks, but I went into natural labor two days before then. I am so GLAD my body was able to go into labor on its own. It really was an amazing experience... so there's my two cents haha. Take it or leave it!

    p.s. I wam so buying an exercise ball for my next pregnancy/labor. It sounds amazing!
    p.p.s. Sorry this is so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna :) The last few weeks are definitely hard! I am glad you shared your experience. It's always helpful to get input from other moms on what they liked or disliked with decisions like induction. And seriously, the exercise ball is the way to go! I've been sitting on it ever since I bought it haha! Best $9 dollars I've spent this pregnancy. I've also heard they are really helpful to sit on/bounce on to help you get through contractions once your in labor so I plan on trying it out for that too!

      Delete
  2. Ok seriously, you are so cute! The last couple weeks are hard. Everything hurts and it's just a waiting game. But then you get a baby!! Best prize ever. You're going to be such an amazing mom, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete