August 21, 2013

Watch Me Grow: 25 Weeks

DSC_0247 DSC_0246 DSC_0250 
Rory is 25 weeks.  She weighs 38 pounds and is still growing. She is doing much better learning not to jump on people.  She has learned to "drop it" really well when playing fetch.  She loves going outside and going for walks.  As soon as she sees her leash her tail starts wagging uncontrollably.  

We had a bit of a fiasco with her on Sunday.  I made chocolate covered pretzels for the ladies I visit teach and they were on a sheet of wax paper on the counter.  Bryce got home from church before I did and let Rory out of her crate.  He went to the bathroom thinking Rory would follow him and lay on the tile like she usually does.  He noticed she didn't come and tried calling her....but no response.  He thought maybe she was just eating her lunch but didn't really think much of it.  I got home and noticed white filmy patches left on the counter.  I asked Bryce what it was from and looking down at Rory he said, "Oh my gosh.  The pretzels!"  She had eaten the entire batch, wax paper and all.  We both (well mainly I) started freaking out since she had just eaten 12 ounces of milk chocolate which can be fatal for dogs.  We quickly started googling to see if there was anything we could do.  We saw a lot of scary symptoms that can result including seizures and her heart stopping if we didn't act quickly.  By this point I was crying and thinking my dog was going to die.  We finally found several vet websites that said to give your dog one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of weight to make them regurgitate what they've eaten.  It said to mix it with a little honey so the dog would eat it easily and quickly.  We hurriedly fed her the hydrogen peroxide/honey mixture and rushed her outside.  Within thirty seconds she was puking up all of the chocolate she had eaten.  I was pretty shocked it worked that fast!  She threw up for a couple minutes and then was done.  We were relieved but we still watched her really closely the rest of the day.  She ended up being completely fine and didn't have a single problem after.  She just scared the crap out of her mom.

This next picture Bryce says is Rory's face when she found out she was going to be a big sister...
DSC_0252
I cannot look at this picture without busting up laughing.  I snapped a quick picture of her mid-yawn and this was the result.  Bryce and I were both in tears laughing when I first loaded it onto my computer.  We love our Rory girl even if she creates chaotic moments.  She definitely keeps our lives from being dull.

-Kami 

No comments:

Post a Comment